Snapshots & Snippets

Snapshots & Snippets – A look at our week

collage

Welcome to our first end of the week “Snapshots and Snippets.”

This week was full of a lot of fun!

{New Beginnings}

It all started with … drumroll … my blog-warming!  If you’ve been here all week, you know how excited I am to get this place up and running and to welcome you to it.  If you haven’t checked out the welcome page, do so.  You’ll find links to all sorts of good things.   The past two and a half years of blogging has consistently challenged me to grow and learn.  Creating this new site stretched me further and involved using all I have learned so far to make it through.  I had a bit of a snafoo getting things going at first {including having to download all eleven pages I had prepared, uninstall and reinstall my blog, but hey, that’s par for the course}.  In life, what doesn’t break us, makes us.  Anything worth pursuing is worth the growing pains.  I feel a bit accomplished after getting all this put together.  Mostly I’m thrilled to be able to share with you what is on my heart and to point you towards practical help as you grow with Jesus, parent or home educate.  Did I mention email signups?  You can get my posts in your inbox if you like – you can even choose which posts you want by type … because I got some tech support from some sweet blogging friends, so now I can do things like offer custom email subscriptions. If I can do this, you can do your next hard thing.

The goodness of it all makes me grin.

{Cultural Day}

I have to mention our monthly Cultural Day even though, technically it didn’t fall within this week.  When I was thinking about educating my children, I decided I didn’t want them to grow up thinking America was the center of the universe and the world was made up of people just like them.  We read missionary stories, host missionaries and now my oldest has traveled to Mexico with plans to go to Africa next summer (we hope, we hope!).  One way I decided to broaden their experience of other cultures was to study various people groups in a hands-on way once a month.  This year we have renewed hosting a Cultural Day once a month.  It’s simple.  We join with four other families for two hours.  Each mom brings two dishes she cooked using recipes from that culture.  We pray over the food, the kids pile onto king sized sheets on the floor of the living room and I teach while they eat.  I use a combination of books, YouTube videos and other websites to help us take a virtual tour of the nation we are studying.  Next we learn some basic phrases (like how to introduce ourselves) in the primary language of that part of the world.  Following this, we do a craft related to the culture.   We close by reading from the book You Can Change the World and praying prayers for the people living in the place we studied.  So far this year we’ve “been to” Egypt, India, the Philippines and Brazil.  Next month, we “travel” together to the Caribbean!

Group of Cultural Day Kiddos Me Teaching

{You Say It’s Your Birthday}

I had a birthday this week.  I’m kind of into birthdays in a way most women my age are not.  I like getting older.  I’ve been more confident and freer.  I know Jesus that much more each year.  I love and appreciate my husband at a deeper level.  My wisdom and patience as a mom increases.  All that to say, it’s not so bad growing up.  It sure beats being 13.  This year one of my dearest friends, Christine came to stay (as she does once a month) and she took me out to the Padre – an historic hotel in our downtown.  It has a swanky {don’t you love that word?} dining room called the Belvedere Room, so we played dress-up and went there for a girls night out.  I’m spoiled, I tell you.  Friends unexpectedly popped by with gifts throughout the day  on Wednesday.  Then my well-trained husband made reservations for the family to go to Tokyo Garden (a teppanyaki place).  I’m Spoiled.  Just plain spoiled.  He didn’t always get this “how to make your wife feel loved on her birthday” thing, but after years together, he’s getting good enough to give lessons.

belvedere room

See what I mean, swanky!

{Purging and Letting Go}

For those of you who happened to follow me on my old blog, you’ll know I’ve been growing in my ability to purge over the years.  This year we started out with a big purge (well, we actually started out getting sick and being on separate couches passing Kleenex boxes to one another … but after that I purged to my heart’s delight).  I wrote a post on the old blog about purging that even has a little Dr. Seuss-ish story to inspire all of you reluctant purgers.  Since then I stalled out on the purging a tad, but this week I got my big girl pants on and started up again.  I tackled the laundry room (aka school display area, board game storage and craft supply center) and thanks to the goodness of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, (with the day off in his well-earned honor) I also ventured into the garage which somehow never stays purged.  It grows clutter like a weed-infested yard.  What’s that all about?  Anyway, my latest plan for purging includes a daily dash for purging lasting about 20 minutes to a half hour.  I’ll just set a timer, tackle something that needs sorting and getting-rid-of and then five minutes before I have to wrap it up, the timer will ding, giving me (you guessed it) five minutes to tidy the inevitable mess and move on to whatever’s next in my day.

{Goodies Around the Web}

I found you a few things you might like to check out around the web this week.  First of all, I want to introduce you to one of my favorite bloggers.  She guest-wrote for me at my old blog.   Shannon is an Alaskan, home educating mom who is passionate about adoption and has a great, candid writing style.  Her post this week, The Year of Deep and Wide was a great way to kick off thinking about resolutions and fresh starts.

Another great blog worth checking out belongs to my friend, Brandy.  She is a wordsmith and thinker extrodonaire.  Her blog, Afterthoughts, mostly contains posts on Home Educating using the methods of Charlotte Mason, but she has many thoughtful posts about other subjects as well.  This week she listed a teen boy book list.  What mom of teen boys doesn’t need that?

Speaking of resolutions {we were … when I told you about Shannon, remember …} Katie at I Choose Brave wrote a great post about being encouraged on the journey instead of seeking the result in our resolutions.  I just discovered her and I’m sure I’ll be going back to read more of what she writes.

This is the last day of my blogwarming week.

I want to thank you for celebrating with me!

Don’t forget to enter the Giveaway for a $20 Target gift card

as my thank you to you for coming by and reading.

I hope you’ll come back whenever you need a word of encouragement.
target gift card
Hearts Homeward

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

Christine
    January 22, 2016 at 3:23 PM

I love snapshots and snippets! I love all the pictures and discriptions of cultural day! It’s just pure goodness! I wish we could come! You have so many clever ideas of hands on learning! What a great experience these little ones are getting!!

Patty
      January 22, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Christine,
      I had a vision for this Snapshots & Snippets for so long. I wanted blurbs that gave glimpses into what is going on here without making full posts out of these topics. I want people to be able to come and sample this and that and take what works for them. I don’t feel led to designate one whole day of writing to Home Education, but I want to include it and this gives me a way. S & S feels like a way to give a box of chocolates where people can take their favorites and come back later for more if they want. I’m so glad you like it!!

Jill Wilhelm
    January 22, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Patty, I always love to read what you have written. Always so inspiring. Keep up the good work!

Patty
      January 22, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Thanks, Jill!
      I’m so glad you came here. I am hoping anyone who read my blog before can find me at my new “address” with ease. Your sweet words warmed my heart.

Barbie
    January 22, 2016 at 3:58 PM

I’m having fun at your party! I am the worst at purging and letting things go. I completely skipped over it this year and now I’m paying the price.

Patty
      January 22, 2016 at 5:17 PM

I hear you, Barbie! My thoughts are that sentimental people have the hardest time purging. God knows you have a big heart. Everything means something to you. Also, you are busy spending time with people and that means the “stuff” can wait and pile up a bit. I’m not sure that’s all bad. I have found that the clutter starts to own me (my thoughts on the other post on my old blog go further into that), so I have learned to let go bit by bit. Thanks for coming and sharing in this special week with me. Much love. ~ Patty

Shannon Guerra
    January 22, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Ahh, thanks, Patty! I love your new blog and am always encouraged by your posts. Thanks so much for introducing me to your readers again. Walking in here is like going to one of your favorite coffee shops after a long, loud day, and — sigh — there’s rest and good conversation here. Soul food. Happy birthday!

Patty
      January 23, 2016 at 6:18 PM

Shannon!
      You found out that I linked to you 🙂 I’m glad. I meant to shoot you a little note to tell you, but I’m glad you saw it. I do love your writing, your heart and your blog. I am so grateful to lead people to find you: authentic, humorous and thoroughly devoted to walking with Jesus. Thanks for your kinds words. I’m grateful for the opportunity to create a place that has been a “child” in my brain for a while. It’s coming together the way I wanted it to: some encouragement, some practical tips for parents and home educators and sharing of goodness (like pointing people to YOU). I’m looking forward to witnessing your deeper-wider year from my vantage point as you share.

Lisa
    January 22, 2016 at 9:43 PM

I love that you are blogging again Patty! You have such insight and such a sweet spirit. I always look forward to reading your blog!!!

Patty
      January 23, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Lisa,
      Speaking of sweet spirits … you are surely one. I’m so grateful you came to Hearts Homeward. I am thrilled to be blogging again. For every season there is something. Sometimes it is withdrawing and resting; sometimes it is stepping out into new things. I am on such a learning curve here! My email subscription went out blank. You know. It happens. I’m just learning more and more all the time. Come back anytime: Monday I’ll be writing spiritual encouragement, Wednesday I’ll share some parenting wisdom and support (wisdom I’ve learned and applied, not that I’m a font of wisdom!) and then Fridays will be a menagerie of our week and some other goodies around the web – focused on sharing things that will bless others.

Ifeoma Samuel
    January 22, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Hey Patty, how fun visiting your New Online Home! I am happy visiting you and going through your blog.
    Thank you for your kind comment over at my blog. I am grateful.
    Many Blessings to you

Patty
      January 23, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Thank you, Ifeoma. I’m so glad you popped by. Feel free to come back anytime. I hope you can find encouragement and practical ideas here to bless you.

Paola Collazo
    January 27, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Finally made it here. Too late for the raffle, but you writing again is the real prize!

Patty
      January 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Oh, Paola, how I wish I could re-run the contest just for you. I am so glad you came. I hope you saw the rhythm of my writing plan these days: Monday I’ll write on Spiritual Growth; Wednesday posts will be about Parenting and Fridays will be a fun collection like what you saw here. I’ll add in some home education ideas in the Friday posts. So glad you came. You are treasured by me.